(Edited to add legoarmy's link)
Fear. It is one of the most important emotions in middle-earth. It is the principal strength of the nine. It is the favoured tool of the dark lord himself. Yet how can one apply this into the mod?
What I suggest is simple. To instil fear, you must complete an action that causes fear. Such actions could be:
· Killing a “monster unit” (Trolls, ologs, and ents)
· Killing 5 units in quick succession. (10 seconds) (Bombs count, because an explosion is quite terrifying.)
· Destroying an enemy banner without being a spy. (To prevent abuse, players cannot put down an enemy faction’s banner, then break it.)
· Blowing an allied horn of conquest in enemy territory.
Fear will cause the units around you to “break” or run away for 15 seconds. After the timer is up, they return to normal.
To “rally” a retreating army, you must blow a horn of summon, which cancels out fear.
Example: Player2 destroys 5 Mordor Orcs using a well placed orc bomb. All units within 10 blocks start running away. Player1 must now use a horn of summons to cancel the fear effect.
Despair is quite different. While fear involved fleeing, despair involves fighting on, but with no hope. Despair can also be induced by completing a specific action. Such actions could be:
· Owning a legendary weapon. (Anduril, ringil, Great weapons)
· Having -1000 alignment with the enemy faction.
· Completing 2 of the fear actions in quick succession. (Killing a monster unit and 5 units in quick sucsession, Killing a monster unit and blowing a horn of conquest...) (5 second timer, fear still applies.)
· Slaying a player character of the opposing faction.
Despair will remove 3 points of attack power, and 3 points of armour, from the opposing factions. The debuff lasts a minute, and cannot be inflicted 2 times in a row.
To remove a despair debuff, you must have a banner-bearer in the vicinity (15 blocks), and blow a horn of summon.
Example: Player2 (Playing as Aragorn) is wielding anduril. All units within the vicinity of 10 blocks now have despair. To cancel this despair effect, Player1 must blow a horn of summon, and have a banner bearer within 10 blocks of him.