Hello, readers! This is the seventeenth suggestion in the series about improvements to various biomes of Middle-earth. In this I shall suggest improvements to the northen Vales of Anduin, with some mention of the inhabitants. The prior suggestions can be found here:
The trees of the Vale were mentioned as mostly being Oak and Elm. We should get this second tree in the mod to account for that.
Other than that, that's about all I can find. Should Oak Trees drop acorns?
Beorning Pastures: The home of the Beornings, who spawn commonly here. Bears, sheep, cattle and dogs are common as well, and the farms of the Beornings are found here. It is mainly an oak-wood, with plains interspersed.
Western Anduin: The home of the Men of Anduin (or Beornings), who spawn commonly here. It is a fair and plesant land, where no Orcs spawn.
Eastern Anduin: Similar to Western Anduin, but Woodsmen of Mirkwood spawn here as well.
Occupied Anduin: The part of Anduin under the shadow of Dol Guldur. Ruined houses and Dol Guldur orcs spawn here.
Central Anduin Hills: The cleansed part of the hills, a few Men of Anduin dwell here. Gundabad Orcs spawn very rarely at night.
Old Eotheod: The former land of the Eotheod. Ruined houses would be fairly common here, and other ruined Eotheod buildings as well. Men of Anduin would spawn by day, and a few Gundabad Orcs by night.
Eotheod Hills: The hills north of Eotheod, where some Gundabad Orcs linger at night.
Southern Anduin Hills: Past the Dimrill Dale, an empty land where few people live, save orcs and wargs by night.
Since there are several groups of Men in the area, but none are mentioned as being dominant, I suggest that we simply have them all as subfactions of the Vale of Anduin faction. The Vales of Anduin are allies to the Wood-elves, Dale, Lorien, Rivendell, Gondor, Rohan, and Durin's Folk. Their enemies are Gundabad, Dol Guldur, Angmar, Mordor, and the Easterlings. If anyone kills a passive animal in their sight, they will attack.
The subfactions are discussed below.
- Beornings: The most powerful subfaction in the area, their banner is brown with a gold pawprint. They live mainly in the Beorning Pastures and occasionally in the Vale of Anduin.
- Woodmen of Mirkwood: These live in Mirkwood, and will be discussed more in that suggestion.
- Woodmen of Anduin: A subfaction who dwell across the Vale. These are the brave men coming out of the South mentioned in The Hobbit. Their banner I am unsure of, and perhaps they would simply fit better as a section of the Beornings. Suggestions are welcome.
Beornings should have Beornings, Warriors, Longbowmen, Berserkers (the Bear-Men), Bakers, Shepherds, and Farmers, as well as several marketplace NPCs. Their armor is relatively light, made of wool and with only some mail among them, but they have lots of health. They use axes, longbows, and spears in battle.
- Beorning House: A thatched Viking-style longhouse with pillars, a fireplace, and low tables. Wool beds and reed chairs lie about, dogs and sheep live inside, and mead barrels sit in corners.
- Beorning Farm: A version of the Beorning House with a pasture and defensive hedge around it. Horses, dogs, sheep, and cattle would spawn there, and beehives as well. Side-buildings would generate around it.
- Beorning Bakery: A simple bakery where Honey-cakes are sold. The food of the Beornings is cream, honey, fruit, nuts and bread.
- Beorning Hall: A long, low wooden house with side wings and a porch--shaped and styled like Beorn's House in the Atlas of Middle-earth. It would only spawn in Beorning Villages, and have a Bear Chieftain inside.
- Beorning Outbuilding: A small shed structure with various different versions, such as acting as a kennel for hounds, a grange for grain and other produce, and a tool-shed.
- Beorning Smithy: A simple wooden building with an outdoor fire-pit and anvil. Here one can purchase the metalwork of the Beornings.
- Beorning Village: A collection of these buildings surrounded by a high hedge, in which there is a single wooden gate.
- Beorning Sheep-pen: A pen filled with sheep and sheep-dogs. A Shepherd spawns here.
- The Men of Anduin could possibly dwell in thatched houses and huts, and villages surrounded by a wooden wall.
- The rare stone foundations of old Eotheod houses should be found in the northern parts of the Vale.
Thanks for reading this suggestion! As alway comments, Kudos, and constructive critiscism is most welcome.