There's no denying this: scabbards played a big role in the world of Middle-earth. They protected swords, kept them from dirtiness, and even served as status symbols. Perhaps it is time that we incorporate this into the mod.
I would like to give a special thanks to Angrenor, who helped me develop and solidify this idea.
Furthermore, I will make textures for these proposed scabbards. They will be posted as they are completed.
Finally, the second part of this suggestion will focus on another possible addition-archer sidearms.
Scabbards would be used for several things, including cosmetics and protecting the sword from theft. While in the scabbard, the sword cannot be stolen by bandits.
The scabbard itself would be placed in a vanity slot in the inventory, and the actual scabbard would hang down from the player's left side. The blade's hilt can be seen at the end of it. Scabbards for knives would follow the same, except be smaller and hang on the right side.
Any sword can be put in any scabbard, and they would be unsheathed by the "0" hotkey to make drawing and sheathing more efficient.
All NPCs with swords or knives would have a scabbard, as well as archers (more on that later). They would not hold their blade, and it would remain in the scabbard until they engage in combat.
Scabbards are found in chests in their respective faction's buildings, or can be crafted. They are crafted on a normal or faction crafting tables in the shape of a spear, with the faction's metal at the two ends and wood in the middle. However, above and below the wood there is leather.
-The plain scabbard is found in all non-faction specific buildings. It can be dyed by the user in various colors. Used by Dale (dyed blue, black, light blue, or plain), most Gondor levies and some soldiers (dyed black, white, or plain), some Rangers of the North (dyed grey, brown, black, or plain), Rohan Soldiers (dyed green, brown, or plain), and Rangers of Ithilien (dyed green). The Fiefdoms of Gondor use leather scabbards dyed in their respective color, save Dol Amroth.
- High-elves: A light blue scabbard with silver clasping and tracery. Used by High-elven Warriors, and in dagger form by High-elves.
- Galadhrim: Grey with an overlayed tracery of gold and silver flowers and leaves. Used by Galadhrim Warriors and in dagger form by Galadhrim and Galadhrim Marchwardens.
- Wood-elves: A dark green scabbard with bronze and silver clasping. Used by Wood-elven Warriors and scouts, and in dagger form by Wood-elves.
- Gondolin: Light blue and white with silver clasps and tracery and many gems. Found in Troll Hoards, and dropped by the Troll Chieftain.
- Gondor: A pitch-black sheath with silver clasping and decoration. Used by Gondor Soldiers and the Citadel Guard.
- Dol Amroth: A blue scabbard with silver clasping like swan-wings. Used by the Knights of Dol Amroth and their men-at-arms.
- Rohan: A green and gold sheath, set with green gems. Used only by Rohan Marshals.
- Dunedain of the North: A worn black-grey sheath with iron clasping. Used by most Rangers of the North.
- Near Harad: A red and gold curved sheath, used by all Near Haradrim warriors.
- Rhudel: A golden sheath with red and yellow decorations and clasps. Used by all soldiers of the Rhunaerim.
- Orc: All Orc factions would use the same scabbard. It is blackish brown with Orc Steel clasps, and used by all Orcs.
- Isengard: A shabby, broad black sheath with Uruk Steel clasps. Used by the Fighting Uruk-hai.
- Utumno: Red metal clasp and a black leather side. Used by the Orcs of Utumno.
- Barrow-blades: A sheath used for Barrow-blades, and maybe in the future Arnorian swords. Uncraftable, they have glittering black metal sheaths set with many red stones.
- Sting: A shabby black sheath, unmarked save the Elven Steel clasps. Only found in creative mode.
- Anduril: A creative-mode scabbard, black with gold and silver tracery in the shape of leaves and flowers. Many gems spell out its name.
- Ringil: Creative-mode only, a blue scabbard with silver clasps and many gems on the side.
Furthermore, all archer and axethrower units who do not currently have a melee weapon should use one. These would be swords for most factions, with a mix of swords and daggers for Orc factions. They will only switch to these after they are attacked in melee, which should hopefully make them more realistic and dangerous. Pikes should also do this. If the enemy comes too close, they should switch to a sword, which has a faster and powerful attack.
Leather Scabbard textures by Minecraftmage:
Thank you for reading this collaborative suggestion between Angrenor and I! As always, comments, Kudos, and constructive critiscism is welcome.