Well, I have returned from my long absence at long last. As this coming update is centred on Harad, I feel as though this suggestion is rather relevant. I suggest the addition of a new plant: the desert rose! For those of you who don't know, the desert roses consist of several plants within the genus Adenium. They have become popular house plants (I happen to have one), and are really quite attractive. As such, I feel as though they would be a very fitting addition to the arid lands of Harad.
They would spawn in the Near Harad Semidesert, South Harondor and the Far Harad Arid Savannah, to a reasonable degree of rarity, and, if possible, should be capable of growing on dirt, grass, and gravel. There would be two variants: a short, one block high variant, and a rarer two block high variant, which can also be obtained by bone-mealing a one block high plant. They can be used to make pink dye.
Now, without further ado, here are the textures. Feedback and constructive criticism appreciated as per usual!
The large variant:
The small variant:
The top and bottom textures for the large variant:
PS: If the textures look oddly pale, that may be a computer issue. They should look normal if saved/downloaded. If not, feel free to let me know.
Javelin throwers: essentially a better -- or more elite -- ranged unit, which would be very similar to the Gondorian tower guards. There are many different ancient peoples, as well as factions during the Middle Ages which used javelin throwers. It seems typically each thrower would carry three javelins, but NPCs could have an infinite, like ax throwers and tower guards. Javelin throwers could be added for either the Moredain, Limwaith (this especially makes sense because of spear fishing), Cerinrim, or possibly even the Tauredain (although this doesn't really seem to fit them, and they already have a good ranged weapon). Unless my memory serves me incorrectly, I don't believe the Moredain really have a ranged unit. This may be good for them, or for the 'Limwaithim?' and Cerinrim as well. If these units were added for the Moredain, they might just use the Moredain spear, however a new unique javelin weapon could also work. If distinct weapons called javelins were made, I would exspect them to not have very good mele damage (even worse than a normal spear), but to deal around 18-19 damage points perhaps (might need to make this lower). Or maybe for some of the new factions you could just call their spear equivalent a javelin, with no other differences. I would like to purpose some textures for this, however I wanted to know what you guys thought about which factions should have these, etc. before I did anything with that. So what do y'all think?
Edit: Adjusted title. ~Alte
If this has already been posted,i apologise for not looking properly...
Personally, i think the harad mountains should be colonized byTauredain, or a new faction that is allied with them... Allies could include the Cerinrim. "The vicious Cerinrim roam the bushlands of Far Harad. Early in their history they resembled the Moredain in many ways. It changed when a powerful cult seized control over several tribes and declared war on the others. The cultists conquered the bushlands and soon all of the Cerinrim worshiped the war god. The Cerinrim began to raid the Moredain, and war became a way of life. They became brutal and savage warriors whose prisoners were ritually sacrificed to the war god. The greatest honor a Cerinrim warrior could have is to sacrifice a Half-Troll to the war god. They have declared Sauron a false god and wage war on his followers."
These would be good allies, to the south, and in the mountains.
Also, don't take this seriously; it is my opinion, it's what i'd like in the game, but i realise it won't (most likely) be added
Mangos! What a lovely fruit. They are my favourite fruit and they're in the mod too.
I think they should add more ways to utilize this lovely fruit.
Add a Tauredain merchant who spawns in Far Harad and rarely in Near harad. He will sell mangos for players who aren#t so far south, and other stuff too.
Mango cake, mango bread, and mango liqueur. All quite obvious recipes crafted on the normal crafting table (Not Tauredain!)
These could also be found in tauredain houses, chests, as loot, and trades, ect.
Add a chance for mango saplings to grow into big trees like the big oaks, or rarely even baobab.
Edit: Suggested by Jimmy Dude 21 perhaps it would be better for the big trees to grow like jungles instead of oaks.
They should also add a very rare sub biome of Far Harad, where all the trees are mangos. Tauredain spawn there who are constantly eating a mango and drinking mango liqueur.
Besides the food/drink, you could craft Mango Fibers out of mangos. These items will have many uses:
You can make a mango block out of the mango fibes. This would be like a thatch or dried reed block, and also have stairs, slabs and a bar thing like the reed bars block.
There would also be a bed made of mangos and a new basket type (like the reed baskets revealed for beat 29)
There could also be armor and weapons made of mango fibers. This would be like a Far Harad version of leather armour (weak and easily obtainable) and would be worn by Tauredain Blowgunners instead of the bronze stuff. The weapons would be things like whips and nets, and maybe a sword.
You could use mango fibers to hang people (if that is ever implemented, like I saw on another suggestion thread)
And finally the mango fibers could be used as furnace fuel and forge/oven fuel.
Achievements for crafting mango cake, bread, and brewing liqueur, making the blocks, finding the mango land biom, and trading with the traveling Tauredain merchant.
Thanks for reading my suggestion, if you like it please give it a kudos and I hope to see it endorsed!
Bludgeon - like a hammer, perhaps make this one a bit faster to swing but dealing less damage and knockback than a regular hammer.
Fishing spear - used like a more effective version of the Dunlending Trident. Can also be used as a weak melee weapon with extended reach, but cannot be thrown in a manner alike to a normal spear.
Longsword. I added this as a sort of 'cool extra' and also so that the sword doesn't seem the odd one out. It would be a bit slower than a sword, but have 125% reach.
I noticed that seeing the areas of far harad are uncharted, and very little information are given about what goes on out there, the mod creators are planning a bunch of "half-canon" tribal factions for those areas. (They are half-canon because Tolkien said that not all the settlements and factioned people have been mentioned and/or discovered by the men of the west.) This allowed them to be creative about what types of factions exist in far harad.
Now, the current planned factions for far harad (I think) need some work. Currently we have a war cult, who are surprisingly good. (Beliving Sauron to be a false god.)
And fisherman people who don't like the tauridean. (For some reason)
Although the war cult one might be cool, i feel that the fishermen people feel too poorly presented. Now although its still all in development, i think we should have more creative factions with more interesting storys than just wanting to fight the other tribes in these mysterious uncharted lands.
Use this thread to post your far harad faction idea.
The Far Harad Jungle, in my opinion at least, is much more awesome than Vanilla Minecraft's Jungle biome, be it because of the sky colour, the tropical turquoise water, or the flora and fauna, as well as my friends and allies, the Tauredain, not to mention an overall much more realistic rainforest atmosphere, and stunning natural terrain. However, a jungle is not like a forest or a plains - there is so much more room for more wildlife and plants. Flamingos, scorpions and crocodiles are all very well, but, after all, it is a jungle, a biological hotspot, and so it should live up to that title.
First of all, apart from the crocodiles, the rivers are empty. I think it would be better if certain animals were to be added to the fresh waters of the Far Harad Jungle.
- Piranha: a pack-hunting hostile mob that isn't a big danger on its own, but can be deadly in large numbers. Hostile to anything that enters the water, and drops 1 raw piranha when killed. Piranha meat is exactly the same as Vanilla fish, and can be cooked likewise.
- Arapaima: a massive (3.5 block) red and brown fish that spawns rarely and singularly in the Far Harad River in the jungle. It is not openly hostile, but when provoked, attacks in a manner similar to an iron golem. It should have high health and armour, and drop arapaima scales, which can be used to make moderate-strength armour, as well as arapaima meat, a more filling version of fish, that can be cooked.
- Catfish (I know that there is one user in particular who may support this idea). Catfish should come is several varieties, examples including Brachyplatystoma filamentosum, the Piraiba catfish, Phractocephalus hemioliopterus, the Redtail catfish, Brachyplatystoma tigrinum, the Barred Sorubim, Bagarius yarrelli, the Goonch catfish. The first of the four would be almost three blocks in length, and be grey in color with a white belly, the second would be more thickset than the former, and smaller, at less 1.5 blocks in length, with a black dorsal surface, a white ventral surface, and bright orange-red fins. The Barred Sorubim would be silver with a labyrinth pattern of black markings, and be slightly over 1 block in length, and the Goonch would be a dark green, and two blocks long. The Piraiba and Goonch should be neutral, and when provoked attack similarly to crocodiles, and the other two passive. The species I suggested are just examples, as catfish are a very diverse family, and I am not specifically requesting those four species alone.
- Cichlid: small, brightly coloured fish. Passive.
On land, my chief concerns are the plant life. Currently, only Mahogany and Jungle trees (as well as banana trees along the rivers and occasional mango trees) generate in the jungle. Here are some other plants I may suggest:
- Kapok: rare, massive trees the size of the largest 2x2 jungle trees.
- Traveller's palm: Consisting of a vertically flat fan-shaped canopy, generates rarely.
- Bromeliad: Comes in several varieties, can generate as an epiphyte where there is room on the branches of trees, and also grows in patches on the ground.
- Tillandsia: technically a kind of bromeliad in real life, in the mod can be planted on almost any surface. Example species include Tillandsia bulbosa and Tillandsia caput-medusae.
- Palm tree: Fairly common, generates in groves, especially in Tauredain clearings. Has four coconuts beneath the crown.
- Moss patches - generates on boulders, trees and stone ruins.
- Victoria amazonia Lily pads: large red and green lily pads that generate in water bodies.
Finally, I also suggest a Far Harad Jungle River, seperate from the normal Far Harad River. The water should be greenish-brown in colour, like that of the Congo or Amazon.
I understand that Mevans has greater priorities than this, however, I would still like my ideas to be considered by the community, and hope to see at least some of them implemented.