Dorwinion (Sindarin dor=land and (g)winion= Sindarin for Young) is a land located in the westernmost part of Rhûn, famous for its wine. It's populated by Elves (supposedly Silvan Nandor and Penni Avari) and Men. This land is especially fertile and has a rich variety of trees and other vegetation. The underground consists of a very thick layer of chalkstone, along with all the normal ores.
Upon entering Dorwinion, the player will get the achievement "Elves and Vineyards".
These hills, also known as the Dorwinion Hills, are located in the south-west of Dorwinion, bordering Wilderland. The area consists of a huge chalkstone plateau that has been eroded in time, resulting in a very hilly and rugged landscape, like a 'Karstic landscape'. It is an excellent home for the largest bovine animals of Middle-Earth, the Kine of Araw.
Unlike the inhabited part of Dorwinion, these lands do not have domesticated animals. So, you'll find wild boar here, instead of pigs, and deer instead of cows. The Emyn Winion have two variants: the standard landscape, which has few trees, and areas covered in light forests. The vegetation is the same as in the rest of Dorwinion.
While technically a biome variant, this variant is significantly different to the point that it is classed here as a sub-biome. The Dorwinion Vineyard is a section of Dorwinion covered with long rows of grapevines, between which are dirt paths dotted with the occasional torch. Vintner guards spawn here to protect their crops and will attack players for repeatedly stealing grapes, which also costs the player Dorwinion alignment.
Dorwinion is a fairly friendly biome to its inhabitants and is the only biome that is home to the Vineyard biome variant. The region is defined 'normal oak' biome. This implies the following variants can be found there:
- Standard - Normal Dorwinion biome.
- Flowers - The same as the standard variant except for a higher coverage of flowers.
- Forest - The normal variant but with a higher tree coverage.
- Light Forest - The normal variant but with slightly higher tree coverage.
- Steppe - A slightly more elevated, flatter variant with less trees.
- Barren Steppe - Similar to the step but with even less vegetation.
- Hills - A slightly more elevated, hillier variant of the normal biome.
- Forested Hills - A combination of the hills and forest variants.
- Dense Oak Forest - Dense forests with many large oak trees. Also huge oaks, measuring 3 m in diameter and reaching up to 30 m, are common here. Patches of podzol cover the forest floor.
- Dead Oak Forest - Lands covered in forests whose glory is passing away. The forest density is comparable to the light forest variant, but there are many stems of dead, leafless trees. This variant is very helpful for acquiring large quantities of wood, as the dead trees provide a lot of easy accessible lumber.
- Oak Shrublands - Forest covered lands with a lower tree density than regular forests, but with a very thick undergrowth of shrubs.
- Vineyard - See section above.
- Birch Forest - A forest dominated with Birch trees.
- Beech Forest - A forest dominated with Beech trees.
- Apple-Pear Orchard - An orchard containing Apple and Pear trees.
- Almond Orchard - An orchard containing Almond trees.
- Olive Orchard - An orchard containing Olive trees.
- Plum Orchard - An orchard containing Plum trees.
Dorwinion contains a wide array of structures, alongside various types of ruins.
- Dorwinion Garden - Structures of Dorwinion brick and hardened clay, surrounded by shrubs and containing a pool in the centre.
- Dorwinion House - Structures built by the Men of Dorwinion that generate throughout the biome. They have ground levels with crafting tables, furnaces, chests, cauldrons, and a staircase, and upper levels with a table, some barrels, and mugs of alcohol. One of the Men of Dorwinion spawns here.
- Dorwinion Elven House - Houses built by the Elves of Dorwinion, which are made of Dorwinion bricks, clay tiles, and stone bricks. They contain living quarters with a chest, a bed, crating tables, cauldrons, and other items, alongside a small vineyard in a courtyard. These vineyards can contain red or white grapes. A Dorwinion Elf spawns here.
- Dorwinion Brewery - Long structures of Dorwinion brick. Each side of the structure features a row of barrels in which Wine can be found. The structure also has a large table, and a large chest at the rear. A Vintner Elf can be found here to sell you the wines of Dorwinion.
- Vintner Guard Camp - Military camps in Dorwinion where Dorwidhrim can be hired. Small tents with a chest are scattered here around the main tent, inside which a table of command, a bed, some chests, crafting tables, and barrels. Both Vintner Guard Captains and Captains of Bladorthin can be found here.
- Dorwinion Bathhouse - Structures that generate in Dorwinion and are home to a variety of Dorwidhrim.
Men and Elves of Dorwinion live here. Dorwinion is home to a species of cattle unique to this land: the legendary Kine of Araw. They will attack you if you hit them, and drop beef, leather and their potentially valuable horn.
- Elf of Dorwinion - Elves that spawn naturally across Dorwinion. They also spawn in their houses.
- Dorwinion Vinehand - NPCs that can be hired from Dorwinion Vinekeepers. Like other farming units, they carry hoes and will farm crops for you.
- Vintner Guard - Mannish NPCs that guard Dorwinion Vineyards. They wear Dorwinion Mannish Armour and use iron equipment. They will attack those who repeatedly steal from Vineyards.
- Vintner Guard Crossbower - Stronger versions of the Vintner Guard armed with deadly crossbows.
- Bladorthin Warrior - Elven warriors who spawn in Dorwinion. They are stronger than the average Dorwinion Elf and use Dorwinion Elven Armor, Equipment, and Spears of Bladorthin.
- Archer of Bladorthin -Elven archers armed with bows. Unlike other Elven archers they don't switch to melee if enemy is close.
- Vintner Guard Captain - Captains of the Vintner Guard who will allow you to hire Vintner Guards, crossbowers, and Dorwinion Banner-bearers. They spawn in the main tent of Vintner Guard Camps.
- Captain of Bladorthin - Elven captains of the Bladorthin Warriors who will allow you to hire Bladorthin Warriors and Dorwinion Banner-bearers. They spawn in the main tent of Vintner Guard Camps.
- Dorwinion Vinekeeper - NPCs who spawn in the Dorwinion Vineyards. They allow you to hire Vinehands and will trade with you.
Dorwinion features the standard ore distribution, but unlike other biomes it also features chalkstone below the surface. This rock is essential for the crafting of Dorwinion building materials, and can be found in a thin layer beneath the dirt surface of the biome, in patches underground, and in boulders on the surface. Chalk is especially prevalent in the Eymn Winion.
The landscape is dominated by bright colours of its fertile grasses and the chalkstone underground. That underground doesn't support many large trees as the high dewatering capability of the chalk rock results in relatively low groundwater levels. Nonetheless, many types of trees flourish here, albeit that the predominant species are oak shrubs and the slender cypress tree, which is also unique for this biome.
The soil provides an excellent base for fruit trees and flowers. Grapes grow exceptionally well here and chances of finding olive trees is higher here than in any other warm temperate biome. Next to Vineyards, the local population also grows most fruit trees in numerous orchards.
The One Wiki to Rule Them All has an article on:
The Tolkien Gateway has an article on: