|“||Heavy have the hearts of our chieftains been since that night.||”|
–Glóin in The Fellowship Of The Ring, The Council of Elrond
Dwarf commanders spawn at the top of Dwarven towers in the Iron Hills, and are easily recognizable by their red capes and the silver coin in their left hand as well as their trimmed Dwarven armour. Once you reach an alignment of +200 for Durin's Folk, they will allow you to hire troops from them and once you reach +1500 you will, of course, be able to buy a warhorn of them for 2000 (20 x ) coins.
Upon hiring a unit from a Dwarf commander, the player earns the achievement "Khazâd ai-mênu!"
Dwarf commanders will not attack unless provoked, just like other unit hiring NPCs. When that happens, they will use a Dwarven Warhammer to defend themselves. Dwarf commanders wear a suit of gold-trimmed Dwarven armour (without the helm).
Listed below are the units the Dwarf commanders have for hire, along with their alignment requirements and cost in silver coins. Some can only be hired if the player is pledged to a Dwarven faction, though only pledges to Durin's Folk will halve the price. Note that the price decreases as your alignment increases.
|Unit||Unpledged or Pledged to Other Dwarven Faction Cost (Silver Coins)||Pledged to Durin's Folk Cost (Silver Coins)||Alignment Required (Durin's Folk)||Requires Pledge (Any Dwarf)|
|Dwarf||20-50 ( to )||10-20 ( to )||+200||No|
|Dwarven Warrior||30-60 ( to )||15-30 ( to )||+250||Yes|
|Dwarf Axe-Thrower||50-100 ( to )||25-50 ( to )||+300||Yes|
|Boar Rider||50-100 ( to )||25-50 ( to )||+350||Yes|
|Boar Axe-thrower Rider||70-140 ( to )||35-70 ( to )||+400||Yes|
|Dwarf Banner Bearer||50-100 ( to )||25-50 ( to )||+400||Yes|
- If you want some fine warriors, you've come to the right Dwarf!
- Greetings, Person! Looking to hire some warriors?
- Give me some silver coins, and I'll give you some units!
- I can offer you some fine fighting Dwarves in exchange for silver coins, Person.
- I have many strong Dwarves for hire.
- My Dwarves are strong and loyal warriors.
- My Dwarves shall serve you... for the right price! Ha! Ha!
- Dwarf warriors aren't cheap! You'll have to pay a good price to command my lads!
- You wish to command the mighty armies of the Dwarves?! My men will follow you, but not for free.
- We Dwarves are great and valiant warriors. Do you have what it takes to lead us into battle?
- Good day, Person! I have some fine battle-hungry Dwarves who will serve you valiantly for the right price.
- You'll have to prove your worth if you want to hire some units, Person.
- You want to hire my Dwarves? Go and kill some more Orcs first, or something.
- I'll have to trust you more before I can let you command my Dwarves.
- Prove your allegiance to the folk of Durin, and they will follow you into battle!
- You've got no chance of commanding a Dwarven army without some deeds to your name, lad!
- Dwarves only follow into battle those whom we can trust!
- I will not let any man command my warriors. Prove your worth to our kin and then come back!
- You want to hire some Dwarves? You must prove your standing amongst our people first!
- How many Orcs did you kill? I say not enough. Come back when you do more deeds.
- My lads will not follow any stranger into battle. Prove yourself!
- Who are you? I have not heard of you. Kill some Orcs and give a meaning to your name!
- Don't expect to get the better of me, you rowdy lad!
- You are no match for the kinsmen of Durin!
- You should not have come here, Person!
- I'll cleave your miserable skull in twain!
- Come on, lad! Show me what you've got!
- Suffer the wrath of the Dwarves, Person!
- Came you here only to be crushed?
- Out with you, Morgul-scum!
- Draw your last breath, Person!
- No Dwarven ale for you!
- I'll crush you like a rock, lad!
- You have underestimated us, Person!
- You're a nasty piece of work, Person!
- What were you thinking, picking a fight with me? Ha!
- Woe and ruin upon you and your kin, Person!
- Khazâd ai-mênu!
- Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!
- May you die in dragon-fire!
- How dare you enter our lands?
- Begone, Orc scum!
- You will pay for trespassing here, Morgul-scum!
|The Dwarves of Durin's Folk|
Dwarf (Axe Thrower, Banner Bearer, Warrior)