|“||On a time they took a boat and went down to the Gladden Fields, where there were great beds of iris and flowering reeds.||”|
–Gandalf in The Fellowship of The Ring, The Shadow of The Past
The Gladden Fields were a marshland in the vale of the Gladden River, and on the banks of the river Anduin. It was there that the One Ring was lost by Isildur, and later found by Déagol, from whom it was stolen by Sméagol, who became Gollum.
Upon entering this biome, the player earns the achievement "Watery Grave". This name might also be derived from the fact that quagmire spawns in this biome, which is a type of quicksand that will suck mobs (including the player) down and suffocate them.
- Swamp Upland - A version of the the biome with fewer pools, higher land generation, and many more trees.
- Swamp Lowland - A variant of the the biome that is more or less flat, and is more like a vast pool choked with bits of land and quagmire.
Alongside the weeds, scattered brick piles, and rotted houses, two structures generate here.
- Gundabad Orc camps - Camps for Gundabad Orcs. Chieftains and Gundabad Orc Scroungers can be found here.
- Ruined houses - Ruined, rotten or burnt down houses that contain chests, furnaces, and crafting tables. Most of these are rotten. Reminders of the people who used to inhabit these lush swamplands.
- Gundabad Orc- Orcs from Mount Gundabad in the Misty Mountains. They are allied only to themselves.
- Gundabad Orc Archer- Gundabad Orcs with bows and arrows.
- Gundabad Wargs (can be ridden)- Wargs (giant wolves) allied with the Gundabad Orcs.
- Gundabad Orc chieftains - Leaders of the Gundabad Orcs, from whom you can hire all of the above.
- Gundabad Orc Scrounger - Like the chieftains, these can be encountered in camps.
The Gladden Fields are a lush swampland and host a great variety of trees and small plants among the boggy pools. The trees of this forsaken swamp are mostly deciduous broadleaf trees including oak, birch, willow and the dominant swamp oaks (oaks with vines hanging from them usually found in swamps). Conifers like spruce, pine, and fir grow here as well though. The yellow iris flower is a plant species exclusive to this biome.
The Tolkien Gateway has an article on: