|“||The Shirriffs was the name that the Hobbits gave to their police, or the nearest equivalent that they possessed. They had, of course, no uniforms (such things being quite unknown), only a feather in their caps; and they were in practice rather haywards than policemen, more concerned with the strayings of beasts than of people.||”|
–Prologue to The Lord of the Rings, Part 3-On the Ordering of the Shire
Hobbit Bounders are the protectors of the Shire. They act not as an army but guards or policemen who round up marauders looking to cause trouble in the peaceful Shire.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
The Hobbit Bounders of the books aren't used to seeing much action when it comes to fighting, though they may take care of a couple drunkards or something along those lines. In this mod they can see a lot of action, so they are equipped with iron daggers or their weapon of choice, their slings. Hobbit Bounders won't bother you if you don't bother them, however, if you come into the Shire and wreak havoc, Hobbit Bounders will be summoned and fight you off with their "deadly" slings or their "fearsome" melee attack. Any well-armed person should be able to kill them and pick up their loot (regular Hobbit loot with a chance of their weapons).
Raids[edit | edit source]
When an Evil player or NPC kills hobbits in the Shire, or if the player/NPC is in the Shire too long, a Bounder "raid" may occur. In this raid a Horn may sound (similar to the invasion horn) and a text notifier will appear in the chat/command box, and several Bounders (the amount that spawn depends on how evil the player is or how dangerous the NPC is) will appear. They will hunt down this troublemaker to the best of their abilities. If multiple players are present, killing the members of one raid may attract the attention of another. With players, the chance of a raid increases as the player becomes more evil, and with evil NPCs a raid is more likely for more dangerous creatures.
Lore[edit | edit source]
In the Prologue of The Lord of the Rings, there are said to be 12 Bounders in the Shire, four in each Farthing. However, Deputy Bounders are hired in times of need.
Speechbank[edit | edit source]
- Good day to you!
- Good day, Person!
- Have you seen any troublemakers round here?
- I protect these lands as best I can, Person.
- Is it time for second breakfast yet?
- I can't wait to get back to my Hobbit hole. Warm food and comfort!
- Let me know if you see anything troublesome.
- As long as I'm on duty, may the hair on your toes never fall out!
- I haven't eaten for at least an hour.
- The lack of food is the worst thing about being on duty, Person.
- If I get promoted, I'll be able to ride a real horse!
- With us Bounders keeping the Shire safe, you've nothing to worry about!
- Have you seen any mischief around these parts, Person?
- It's my duty to put a stop to mischief, wherever I see it!
- My duty is to protect the Shire and its folk!
- Sometimes I wish I could spend all day smoking my pipe. But duty is duty!
- No queer folk shall trouble the Shire on my watch!
- Just a few more hours and I'll be off to the closest tavern.
- Some very odd folk come to the Shire these days, Person. I fear that they bring trouble!
- And what do you think you're up to, Person?
- Troublemaker! We don't tolerate you in these parts!
- Get out of the Shire, Person!
- Get out of the Shire!
- I'll be reporting you to my old Gaffer!
- Stay away from the Shire!
- You're pushing your luck, coming into these parts.
- So you're one of these troublemakers I've been hearing about. Stay away, Person!
- Uncouth folk like you aren't welcome here, Person!
- Just what do you think you're doing coming into the Shire, Person?
- By the feather in my hat, I'll put a stop to your mischief!
- I will not allow you to cause mischief here, Person! Leave the Shire!
- I knew you were up to no good!
- We do not appreciate troublemakers such as you in the Shire!
- Stop causing trouble or you'll have trouble with me, Person!
- Don't think you can get away with your mischief, Person!
- Good day, Person.
- Let's go and root out some troublemakers.
- For the Shire!
- Is it time for second breakfast yet?
- May the hair on your toes never fall out, Chief!
- What would you have me do, Chief?
- On duty, Chief!
- There must be some troublemakers round here.
- If you see any mischief, I'll put a stop to it!
- Time to put a stop to some mischief!
- Let's drive the troublemakers out of our lands!
- I can't wait to face my first troublemaker!
- I will do as you ask, Chief!
- I protect the Shire from mischief!
- What do you need, Chief?
Trivia[edit | edit source]
Note, that up to Update 36, Bounders were called "Shirriffs" and their chiefs were called "Shirriff Chiefs".
The One Wiki to Rule Them All has an article on:
The Tolkien Gateway has an article on:
|The Little Folk of the Shire|
Hobbit (Farmhand, Bounder)