|“|| They passed along the edge of a huge turnip-field, and came to a stout gate. Beyond it a rutted lane ran between low well-laid hedges towards a distant clump of trees. Pippin stopped.
‘I know these fields and this gate!’ he said. ‘This is Bamfurlong, old Farmer Maggot's land. That's his farm away there in the trees.’
–The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms
Hobbit farmers dwell in the upper story of their farmhouses, and often have Hobbit farmhands nearby to help out with their work. They carry a hoe in one hand and a silver coin in the other; on their head they wear a leather hat.
Hobbit farmers are normally passive mobs. When provoked by the player, the Hobbit farmer may fight back, but when attacked by other mobs such as Orcs, they will flee.
Hobbit farmers sell products from their farms. This includes vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, lettuce and pipe-weed leaves. They also sell a variety of seeds, as well as items from the barn: wool, leads, buckets of milk, etc.
Hobbit farmers will buy items that they need for farming. These include all types of hoes, buckets, and bonemeal.
Below is a table of values for each item that the player is available to purchase from this NPC. Use this table to find out if your farmer is giving you a good deal or not. Not each Hobbit farmer will have every item listed for sale.
Upon buying a potato from a Hobbit farmer, the player earns the achievement "Boil 'Em, Mash 'Em..."
|Items Sold||Price Range||Images|
|Carrot||2-4 ( to )|
|Corn||2-3 ( to )|
|Corn Stalk||1-1 ( to )|
|Hay Bale||9-15 ( to )|
|Lead||6-10 ( to )|
|Leek||2-4 ( to )|
|Lettuce||2-4 ( to )|
|Bucket of Milk||6-10 ( to )|
|Pipe-weed Leaf||3-5 ( to )|
|Pipe-weed Seeds||2-4 ( to )|
|Potato||2-3 ( to )|
|Seeds||1-1 ( to )|
|Turnip||2-4 ( to )|
|Wheat||2-3 ( to )|
|Wool||2-3 ( to )|
Below is a table of values for each item that the player can sell to this NPC. Use this table to earn more money by only selling when the prices are high. You will not be able to sell every item to every farmer as not each Hobbit farmer will want to purchase every item listed below. Note that they only buy undamaged tools.
|Items Bought||Price Range||Images|
|6 x Bone Meal||1-1 ( to )|
|Bronze Hoe||5-8 ( to )|
|Bucket||2-4 ( to )|
|Iron Hoe||6-10 ( to )|
|Stone Hoe||1-1 ( to )|
|Bucket of Water||3-5 ( to )|
Currently, the only unit hire-able from a Hobbit farmer is the Hobbit farmhand. Similar to the slaves of Núrn, Hobbit farmhands will help the player sow and harvest crops. To hire this unit, the player must have at least +50 Hobbits alignment and pay a maximum of 40 () silver coins. The cost of hiring will decrease as the player gains more alignment with this faction.
Upon hiring a unit from a Hobbit farmer, the player gains the achievement "Hired Hands".
- Good day, Person!
- Hello there, Person! Do you want to buy any crops?
- You after some fine crops, Person?
- I have some fine farmhands ready for hire.
- Want to hire some farm workers? Just bring me some silver coins.
- The harvest is plentiful this time of year!
- And how are you today, Person?
- Got any farming equipment? I'll offer you a good price.
- Welcome to the farm, Person!
- You're a little tall for a Hobbit, aren't you?
- I hope you've not been stealing any crops!
- Looking for some good crops, Person? Well then, you've come to the right place!
- This is the best here farm in all the Shire!
- I have some fresh crops that you'll like!
- I offer you the best crops in all the Shire!
- I'm always in need of new farming tools! Get me some and we can trade!
- My farmhands are the hardest-working in this entire farthing! Bring me some silver coins and you can hire some!
- Don't forget to not step on my crops!
- Strange folk have been seen in these parts, and you look like one of them.
- I hear you've been causing trouble round here.
- You look like a troublemaker!
- You look like a troublemaker, Person.
- Aren't you one of those strange folk I've heard talk of?
- Stay away from the Shire, Person.
- Stay out of the Shire!
- I shan't be lending you any of my pipeweed!
- We don't take kindly to folk like you.
- You're not a nice fellow, Person.
- There's talk of strange folk round here. Might you be one of them?
- If you'll be begging my pardon, you make me feel uncomfortable.
- You're one for the Mewlips, Person!
- I knew you queer old Big Folk were trouble!
- We don't appreciate folk like you in the Shire.
- The Shire is no place for troublemakers like you!
- You'd better leave the Shire, Person, or I'll call the Bounders!
- I've seen strange folk lurking around these parts, and you remind me of one of them. I don't trust you.
|The Little Folk of the Shire|
Hobbit (Farmhand, Bounder)