The moon is a sprite in Middle-earth that appears only at night in the sky. It rises in the east, and sets in the west. Most Orcs and other evil creatures prefer to fight at night, while men and other good creatures usually wait until sunrise before attacking.
When it turns night and the sun decends below the horizon, the moon will show up. The light level slowly decreases. When it sinks below 8, evil NPCs will start to spawn in many biomes. Good NPCs generally spawn regardless of light level.
Differences from VanillaEdit
While the moon in Middle-earth is very similar to that of Minecraft Vanilla, there are a few important differences:
- The first (and most obvious) difference is that Middle-earth's moon is round, whereas the Minecraft moon is square.
- Secondly, it stays in the sky twice as long; a day/night cycle in Middle-earth lasts 40 minutes, where 20 minutes of that is nighttime.
- Thirdly, each night, the moon phase changes. It's a new/full moon every eighth day. The Mod's time reckoning starts with a full moon.
- Fourthly, moonlight makes dwarven doors and moon runes show up at night from a certain distance.
- Finally, every 32 nights (every 4th full moon) a lunar eclipse will happen. The moon will turn slightly reddish and invasions have a greater chance of spawning.
- This feature seems to have been in the Mod since the beginning.
- The moon turned round in Public Beta 22.
- Invasions depend on the moon phase since Public Beta 23.
- Moon runes were added in Public Beta 30.
Gameplay mechanics of the Lord of the Rings Mod
Equipment Modifiers •
Achievements and Quests:
Other / Technical: