The Mordor Spider Keeper is a type of mercenary captain from whom players can hire the spine-chilling Mordor Spiders. They spawn in Spider pits, which appear in Nan Ungol, in the southwestern corner of Mordor. They often spawn riding atop a Mordor Spider.
Players with at least +250 Mordor alignment can hire Mordor Spiders, Mordor Spider Riders and unmounted Orcs from the spider keeper for a fee of silver coins. These units are quite capable in combat, and an army of them is a useful asset for any servant of the Shadow.
Mordor Spider Keepers look exactly like regular Mordor Orc Commanders, as they wield skull staffs and have no helmets, which makes them easy to identify as a hiring unit. They can be differentiated from Commanders by where they spawn, and by the spiders that Spider Keepers typically ride.
Upon hiring a unit from a Mordor Spider Keeper, the player earns the achievement "Flies and Spiders".
Spider Keepers allow players to hire Mordor Spiders, with or without riders, as well as Mordor Orcs and Nan Ungol Banner Bearers. The complete list of hired units, as well as their default cost and Mordor alignment requirements, is shown below.
|Unit||Unpledged Cost (Silver Coins)||Pledged Cost (Silver Coins)||Alignment Required (Mordor)||Requires Pledge (Mordor)|
|Mordor Spider||30-60 ( to )||15-30 ( to )||+250||No|
|Mordor Orc||20-40 ( to )||10-20 ( to )||+250||No|
|Mordor Orc Archer||40-80 ( to )||20-40 ( to )||+250||No|
|Spider Rider||50-100 ( to )||25-50 ( to )||+300||No|
|Spider Archer Rider||70-140 ( to )||35-70 ( to )||+350||No|
|Nan Ungol Banner Bearer||40-80 ( to )||20-40 ( to )||+400||No|
- What do silver coins and Man-flesh have in common? I never have enough of them!
- You want some mercenaries, Person? I want some coins.
- Get your fighting Orcs here! Starting at just a few silver coins!
- I want to get my stinking hands on some more silver coins!
- The forces of Mordor are ready for hire, maggot!
- Mordor has many fine stinking Orcs for you to command!
- The filth of Lugbúrz doesn't come cheap, Person!
- You want to hire some maggots from Lugbúrz? Just bring me some stinking coins!
- You want my boys, you can have them! For a dozen silver coins of course. Ha! Ha!
- My boys are the finest Orcs in all of Mordor! They'll serve you well - for the right price...
- Orcs aren't free. You'll need to give me some coins, or no deal!
- Come and get your warrior Orcs here!
- You think I'd sell mercenaries to scum like you? Ha!
- Only the foulest of Men can command Orcs, Person.
- Work some more evil, and then perhaps I'll consider trading units with you.
- Come back when you've proven your worth, maggot.
- I'm not selling any Orcs to you until you kill some more filthy enemies!
- The Orcs of Mordor would never follow a weakling like you, Person!
- You think Lugbúrz just hands out Orcs to any old maggot?
- You will need to prove yourself to the Eye, if you wish to command his mighty Orcs.
- I don't just let any old maggot hire my Orcs! Come back when you have some Man-blood on your hands!
- Go kill some of those filthy Gondorians and then I might let you hire some of my fine Orcs.
- My Orcs only follow true servants of the Eye.
- Prove yourself to the Eye and I will let you command my Orcs!
- Have you not been driven out by our armies yet, scum?
- I'll bleed you like a stuck pig!
- Enjoy your last breath, scum!
- You're nice and fresh!
- Kill the scum!
- Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!
- You stink of fear!
- Die, Man-scum!
- Your blood smells fresh!
- I'll skewer you like a piece of meat!
- You'd better start running, maggot!
- Come any closer and I'll stick you like a fresh cut of meat!
- We dine on Man-flesh tonight!
- Once I'm done with you, you'll be nothing but a pile of bones!
- I will feast on your flesh, Man-filth!
- I'll make dinner out of you!
- You've messed with the wrong Orc, Man-scum!
- I will have your head, scum of Gondor!
- Kill the tark!
- Filthy tark tried to knife me!
- Tark scum! Come on, boys!
|The Hosts of Mordor|
Black Uruk (Archer) •
Orc (Archer, Banner Bearer, Bombardier)