|“||Far and wide [Shelob's] lesser broods, bastards of the miserable mates, her own offspring, that she slew, spread from glen to glen, from the Ephel Dúath to the eastern hills, to Dol Guldur and the fastnesses of Mirkwood.||”|
–The Two Towers, Shelob's Lair
Nan Ungol (Sindarin: Valley of Spiders) is located in the southwest corner of Mordor. Terrainwise, Nan Ungol is much like the rest of Mordor, full of lava and composed primarily of Mordor Rock. Nan Ungol is a much more wild biome, however - charred trees are very common here, suggesting that, perhaps, Nan Ungol was once a fertile, forested valley. Those days are long over, however, and instead the region is home to evil Mordor Spiders, the spawn of Shelob, the foul offspring of Ungoliant. Those spiders are common in Nan Ungol, as are webs of Ungoliant, which are scattered all over the valley. These spiders are accompanied by Mordor Orcs, which include Mordor Orc Spider-Keepers, who allow evil players to hire the spiders.
As with the rest of Mordor, Nan Ungol's sky is shrouded by a cloud of ash and smoke from Mount Doom, which gives the sky a reddish tinge and completely hides the Sun, Moon, and stars from view. This protects Orcs and Trolls from debuffs during the day, and it also allows such creatures to spawn in large numbers at any time here, not just at night. The great cloud over Mordor has made the region arid to the point where it no longer rains there, and instead Nan Ungol, as with the rest of the region, experiences ash storms, during which the land is blanketed by choking ash from Mount Doom.
Nan Ungol is one of the best biomes for evil players to set up shop in, as with the rest of Mordor. Good players had best avoid the region unless they are well-prepared, and willing to fight hordes of Orcs and Spiders. Nan Ungol, as with the rest of Mordor, can be conquered by Mordor, Rohan, and Gondor at a rate of 0.5.
Upon entering Nan Ungol, the player earns the achievement "The Spawn of Ungoliant".
Only one structure can be found in this wild valley.
- Mordor Spider Pits - Pits of charred wood and Mordor Brick that contain rideable Mordor Spiders. Similarly to Mordor Warg Pits, which spawn elsewhere in the region, these pits are built with two levels - an upper level for the guards, and a lower level for the spiders. The lower level can be accessed by a ramp built off to the side, which leads down into the pit proper, which contains two stalls for spiders and a loot chest. A Mordor Orc Spider Keeper spawns amongst the spiders. The upper level features a battlemented balcony that overlooks the pit and ramp, as well as a small charred wood shack, which is carpeted and contains two Orc Beds, a chest, and a table with a barrel of Orc Draught, mugs, and plates. Tarps of brown wool shelter the shack and the ramp from above. Spider Pits can prove valuable for evil players, as they provide a number of readily-available mounts, and generate quite commonly in Nan Ungol.
- Mordor Orcs - Evil Orcs of Mordor, equipped with Mordor armour and armed with Mordor weapons, such as scimitars, spears, battleaxes, daggers, warscythes, or warhammers. They can be found on foot or riding Spiders.
- Mordor Orc Archers - Mordor Orcs equipped with Orc bows. They can be on foot or riding spiders as well.
- Mordor Orc Bombardiers - Mordor Orcs with Orc bombs. They are very destructive, and when the bomb has been used, the Bombardier will switch to a dagger. Hired bombardiers can be re-equipped with new bombs.
- Mordor Spiders - Large spiders that spawn in Nan Ungol. They are similar to their Mirkwood-dwelling kin, but only come in black and feature the mark of Sauron on their abdomens. They come in different sizes, and have poisonous bites. They can be ridden by Mordor Orcs and Mordor Orc Archers, and can be bought from Mordor Orc Spider Keepers. Players with +250 Mordor alignment can tame and ride these spiders.
- Mordor Orc Spider Keepers - Mordor traders that spawn inside spider pits from whom you can hire spiders and spider riders. They hold a silver coin in their hand to signify that they are traders.
As with the entire region of Mordor, Nan Ungol is composed entirely of Mordor Rock, not stone. The presence of Mordor Rock makes the biome particularly useful for evil players due to its use in Mordor building materials, as well as for those building in a more Númenórean style, which serves as a counterweight to the near-total absence of stone here.
Only three ores can be found in Nan Ungol. Durnor and Morgul Iron can be found here at rates and Y-levels comparable to iron elsewhere, though Durnor veins are larger than Morgul Iron veins. In addition, Gulduril can be found here as well, at Y-levels comparable to gold, though with slightly higher rates. These three ores are must-have resources for evil players, and are used in crafting a myriad variety of equipment pieces, items, and even portals.
Only a few plants grow in Nan Ungol. All trees here are charred, and the only plants here aside from them are Mordor scrubs, stabbing thorns, and withered moss. Charred trees are more common here than they are in the rest of Mordor, and they are often covered in Webs of Ungoliant. Any reeds that are found in Mordor will appear dried.
The One Wiki to Rule Them All has an article on: