This article is for the NPC, for the Faction see here.
Taurethrim (see pronunciation, Sindarin: Those who remain in the forest; singular: Taurethir) roam the Jungles of Far Harad which they hold sacred. They are bitter enemies of the Morwaith and any group allied with them. They sometimes give out Mini-Quests, some of which consist of collecting items such as cocoa beans, Taurethrim Amulets, etc. while others involve killing Morwaith, Half-trolls, or Southrons. Only killing Morwaith and completing mini-quests will raise your Taurethrim Alignment.
Besides the normal Taurethrim 'villager', there are several other Taurethrim NPC types:
- Taurethrim Warrior: The warrior class of the Taurethrim. Spawns in Far Harad Jungles, and can also be hired from chieftains.
- Taurethrim Chieftain: Lives in the Chieftain Temple in a Taurethrim village. You can hire Taurethrim units from the chieftain if your alignment is high enough.
- Taurethrim Banner Bearer: A warrior who carries the Taurethrim banner into battle. Can be hired, but does not spawn naturally except for invasions.
- Taurethrim Shaman: A trader of the Taurethrim. Found in the Stilt House of Taurethrim villages. They sell the elusive Taurethrim Blowguns and other things such as Jungle Remedies, Bottles of Poison, and Taurethrim Equipment. They also sell food and materials.
- Taurethrim Farmer: Another trader found in farm structures, found in a Taurethrim village. Sells farming materials and buys tools for farming.
The following information is non-canon (with respect to LOTR canon). It has been invented for the mod's lore. Original lore for the mod makes every effort to remain consistent with LOTR canon.
The Taurethrim first lived in the swamps of Far Harad and some time later they left the swamps in search of a new home. After wandering for years, they found the lush jungles of Far Harad. Stricken with its natural beauty, they began to worship the trees and built huge, stone pyramids, temples and shrines. The Taurethrim united, and a religious war to spread their beliefs to their neighbors and beyond began. Invading the Mangroves, they battled and subdued the Limwaith. Eventually, their empire fell and the Limwaith drove them out of the Mangroves. Weakened by disunity and war, the Taurethrim were attacked by the Morwaith. The Morwaith cut down their trees and stole their sacred animal, the Mumakil. This conflict started a bitter rivalry between the two peoples. The Taurethrim still have not forgot what the Morwaith did to them, and have sworn vengeance on them and their allies, the Southrons. The Taurethrim await a new leader to unite them to conquer Far Harad and destroy the Morwaith.
The Taurethrim are likely based on a blend of Sub-Saharan African and Pre-Columbian Maya tribes.
Taurethrim will spawn within the Far Harad Jungle biome and throughout its sub-biomes randomly, and will wander around unless you have a negative Taurethrim alignment, in which case they will attack you if you get within 17 blocks of them. If you have a positive or neutral Taurethrim alignment they will ignore you unless you right click to talk to them.
The base Taurethrim cannot be hired, but the Taurethrim Blowgunner, Taurethrim Warrior, and Taurethrim Banner bearer can be bought from the Taurethrim Chieftain once you have 200+ Taurethrim alignment.
- You look like a brave warrior, Person.
- You are a fighter of the jungle, are you not, Person?
- One day, the empire of the forests will rise again.
- The time has come. Our empire will soon rise again!
- Those barbaric northern tribes will soon be crushed.
- The evil Eye will never have power here.
- The trees of the jungle grow tall and strong, Person, like its people.
- Our jungle warriors are mightier than any fiend of the plains.
- Those lion-worshipping savages continue to steal our Mûmakil!
- Too often do the Lion-Men chop our trees and steal our beasts!
- Will you help our empire rise again, Person?
- I am glad to see you share our hatred of those zebra-riding spear-savages, Person!
- The pyramids of the old empire are mighty and ancient, but many are long since lost to us.
- Many treasures of our fallen empire are now lost to the jungle.
- You look like a strong warrior, Person.
- This forest is our home. Doom to any who would destroy it!
- Are you skilled with the blowgun, Person?
- The Men of the plains are wretched savages. They have no place here!
- What brings you into our jungle, Person?
- Welcome, wanderer from the North. I confess I am surprised you made it this far south.
- Most travellers from the North burn in the desert before they reach this place.
- The evil Eye has no followers amongst our people.
- Men and beasts from the evil Eye have devastated our precious forests. Their savagery is not welcome here.
- The old empire will rise again, some day.
- The people of the plains are primitive and brutal. Do not trust them!
- The lion-tribes are our mortal enemies.
- It is unwise to have dealings with the savage tribes outside our forests.
- Beware the Lion-Men, Person. They eat the flesh of friend and foe alike!
- Our empire was once the greatest in all the world.
- At the edge of the world is a land of fires and smoke. There are... things living there, half-man, half-demon. I pray they do not come here, Person.
- One day we shall reclaim our old city from the troll-demons.
- We remember the grief of Kimen Kâh. But we do not speak of it.
- Every child knows the tale of Kimen Kâh, and the monstrous demons that were its downfall.
- A Shadow is falling on the world again.
- The shamans say a great evil has come back into the world. They say it will be as it was in the last days of the old empire...
- Leave this jungle, Person!
- You don't belong in our homelands!
- Die, grassland savage!
- You won't last long here, Person!
- Weaklings like you don't last long in these forests!
- I'll feed you to the crocodiles!
- Flee, servant of evil!
- Barbarian of the plains! Begone, Person!
- Your death will be quick, Person!
- Run while you can, Person - this will only hurt a lot!
- You are not welcome here, friend of the Lion-Men!
- The jungle beasts haven't slain you yet? Then I shall!
- The evil Eye cannot save you now, Person!
- You will choke on your own blood, Person!
- The Great Lion has no power here, Person!
|The Taurethrim of Far Harad|
Taurethrim (Banner Bearer, Blowgunner, Farmhand, Warrior)