FANDOM


  • I know I have talked about this in my previous post, but this one brings it in more detail.

    Balrogs are currently a pretty strong mob already, but, well, about 20 Gondor soldiers can make quick work of them, as my tests have shown. They are supposed to be mighty maiar spirits that can slaughter hordes of men, elves and dwarves without taking serious damage.

    Defensive: Balrogs should get bronze armor strenght defence (only bronze because they already have lots of health). Also, they should break your melee weapon faster, like morgul armor does, giving an impression of your weapon melting away in their fiery, burning bodies. The weapon breaking effect should dissapear when they are cooled down in water, but the defence should maybe rise to iron armor strenght (in water they kind of look like they have turned to stone). Regeneration and health should remain the same as they are right now.

    Offensive: Balrog attacks should ignore the 75% of weapon strenght attack of other npc-s. Their attack should be the following: Sword 9hp, Battleaxe 11hp, hammer 12hp, whip 7hp. They should always spawn armed (like mentioned in this thread: http://lotrminecraftmod.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:210277) and maybe have the ability to switch between different weapons. Whipped balrogs should also break your armor faster and get a new ability to "fish" you with the whip, pulling you towards them and also setting you on fire. That ability would help solve the problem of people just spamming them with bows from far away. Balrogs would have a fiery aura 16 or 24 blocks around them. That means that your screen should get a orange or red overlay (similiar to the one when entering the ring portal) and set you on fire for a short time about every 5 seconds.

      Loading editor
    • IMO Balrogs should also be immune to all ranged weapons (as arrows, bolts, and spears would all burn up before they met their target) and should also have AoE attacks with the whip, like a cross between the current whip and an Olog-Hai. But yeah, I generally agree. Killing a Balrog should be a task NO NPC, no matter how many or how strong, should be able to kill. It should be an extremely difficult feat for any player.

      Gen. Grievous1138 (LOTR Mod Wiki Admin) comlink 12:22, June 25, 2017 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • Mithril weapons would be immune to the melting, right?

        Loading editor
    • Direranger50 wrote: Mithril weapons would be immune to the melting, right?

      I wouldn't think so. That would just make mithril more powerful than it already is.

      Gen. Grievous1138 (LOTR Mod Wiki Admin) comlink 15:34, June 25, 2017 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • I suggested once almost one year ago, and it got endorsed.

      Balrogs! Someone mentioned IIRC, but it got neither endorsed nor added, so I want to bring it up again. Balrogs, demons of might, demons of fire and shadows! “The fire in it seemed to die, but the darkness grew. It stepped forward slowly on to the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height” (‘’The Fellowship of the Ring’’, The Bridge of Khazad-dum) I suggest Balrogs would have two form, the current one is the fire form, and they can turn to the darkness form when their fire dies. In this form, they will bulk up and grow in height like this and this, and you will receive blindness effect (to represent in their shadows) when they hit you.

      Swords of Balrogs. “red swords leaped flaming” will replace Utumno Swords in Balrogs’ hand. It will have Fire Aspect effect.

      Utumno Improvements

        Loading editor
    • There is a reason they're weaker than in lore, because technically there are only 7 balrogs.

        Loading editor
    • I was thinking about both projectile immunity and multiple forms, but those 2 features seemed slightly too op to me. If those would be added, balrogs would have stuff similiar to Boss Mechanics and would be rather a boss, instead of just a powerful mob as they are currently.

      • Should Balrogs be a boss mob, instead of just a powerful mob?
         
        95
         
        8
         

        The poll was created at 19:59 on June 25, 2017, and so far 103 people voted.
        Loading editor
    • Yes indeed, and they should only spawn (one) in Moria, and perhaps one at the greatest stretch of imagination in Utumno. I disagree with there being so many; I prefer Tolkien's "at most seven" to the lesser Balrog concept.

        Loading editor
    • ^^

        Loading editor
    • Thindithron the Great wrote:
      Yes indeed, and they should only spawn (one) in Moria, and perhaps one at the greatest stretch of imagination in Utumno. I disagree with there being so many; I prefer Tolkien's "at most seven" to the lesser Balrog concept.

      I think the Balrogs in Utumno could theorecticly be replaced by Boldogs. Which while not really up to date not un-canon either.

        Loading editor
    • MrHobit1234 wrote:

      Thindithron the Great wrote:
      Yes indeed, and they should only spawn (one) in Moria, and perhaps one at the greatest stretch of imagination in Utumno. I disagree with there being so many; I prefer Tolkien's "at most seven" to the lesser Balrog concept.

      I think the Balrogs in Utumno could theorecticly be replaced by Boldogs. Which while not really up to date not un-canon either.

      Boldogs are not nearly strong enough to replace Balrogs. The idea of lesser Balrogs is a good one. They should be far rarer anyway.

      Gen. Grievous1138 (LOTR Mod Wiki Admin) comlink 01:16, June 26, 2017 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • Gen. Grievous1138 wrote:

      MrHobit1234 wrote:

      Thindithron the Great wrote:
      Yes indeed, and they should only spawn (one) in Moria, and perhaps one at the greatest stretch of imagination in Utumno. I disagree with there being so many; I prefer Tolkien's "at most seven" to the lesser Balrog concept.

      I think the Balrogs in Utumno could theorecticly be replaced by Boldogs. Which while not really up to date not un-canon either.

      Boldogs are not nearly strong enough to replace Balrogs. The idea of lesser Balrogs is a good one. They should be far rarer anyway.

      Gen. Grievous1138 (LOTR Mod Wiki Admin) comlink 01:16, June 26, 2017 (UTC)

      Let's see: it took Thingol, a mighty lord, to defeat Boldog. Other (admittedly stronger) heroes defeated hordes of those 'lesser Balrogs' in some of Tolkien's works. Both Boldog and the lesser Balrogs are 'lesser Maiar' of, I would say, the same order. So we can justifiably make these Boldogs as powerful as the present Balrogs.

        Loading editor
    • Boldogs would be far better than the non-canon "lesser Balrogs", because Boldogs, or Orc-Maiar, survived even into the late conceptions. While most perished, it's no less (and in fact more) canon than having these Balrogs.

      IthilionHeraldry Ithilion, Discussions Moderator(Auta i lómë) 03:14, June 26, 2017 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • Bowl-dogs? Sorry, did I miss something?

        Loading editor
    • Catfishperson wrote: Bowl-dogs? Sorry, did I miss something?

      You thought was bowl, but was doggo. Bamboozled again.

        Loading editor
    • Please make sure you don't double the original proposals documented in this thread:

      [Endorsed] Balrog Improvements.

        Loading editor
    • AlteOgre wrote: Please make sure you don't double the original proposals documented in this thread:

      [Endorsed] Balrog Improvements.

      I have doubled one:

      "They should always spawn armed"

      "6. Currently balrogs can spawn weilding no weapon, I for one don't really like that, and would rather see it removed."

      Should I remove it from the post or..?

        Loading editor
    • Should also decrease their spawn rate then since there weren't tons of them everywhere. But yes, a balrog should be more like a boss fight than just another npc.

        Loading editor
    • Notverygoodusername wrote: ... Should I remove it from the post or..?

      Remove it or at least refer to the other thread.

        Loading editor
    • just curious in short people want Balrogs to be IMPOSSIBLE to kill cause with just melee it WILL be impossible to kill how much dmg you get wearing dwarf armor you die with like 4-5 hits at most i guess, i believe they are already virtually almost impossible to kill, how are people in SP or just solo in server supposed to kill them, the aura with fire is also a big problem not mentioning the extra mobs spawning around

        Loading editor
    • Gliphton wrote: just curious in short people want Balrogs to be IMPOSSIBLE to kill cause with just melee it WILL be impossible to kill how much dmg you get wearing dwarf armor you die with like 4-5 hits at most i guess, i believe they are already virtually almost impossible to kill, how are people in SP or just solo in server supposed to kill them, the aura with fire is also a big problem not mentioning the extra mobs spawning around

      I should think we want them to be powerful enough that only the most skilled players can slay them. At the moment, anyone can do it with a bucket of water, a stack of cobblestone, and a pike...

        Loading editor
    • Gen. Grievous1138 wrote:

      Direranger50 wrote: Mithril weapons would be immune to the melting, right?

      I wouldn't think so. That would just make mithril more powerful than it already is.

      Gen. Grievous1138 (LOTR Mod Wiki Admin) comlink 15:34, June 25, 2017 (UTC)

      Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought mithril was highly overrated and not worth the trouble.

        Loading editor
    • Mustache Walrus wrote:

      Gen. Grievous1138 wrote:

      Direranger50 wrote: Mithril weapons would be immune to the melting, right?

      I wouldn't think so. That would just make mithril more powerful than it already is.

      Gen. Grievous1138 (LOTR Mod Wiki Admin) comlink 15:34, June 25, 2017 (UTC)

      Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought mithril was highly overrated and not worth the trouble.

      I'm pretty sure you are correct. full mithril armor + full set of mithril tools and weapons takes hours, days or even weeks of mining to obtain. Diamonds are much easier to find and it's more worth making armor and tools (but maybe not weapons) out of them. The problem with diamonds is, that on many servers, diamond equipment/armor or even going to the overworld is illegal.

      EDIT: You can also get mithril as drops from utumno orcs, barrow-wights and maybe some others. You can also find it in various chests, such as barrow-downs barrows and dwarven mines (?).

        Loading editor
    • Gliphton wrote: just curious in short people want Balrogs to be IMPOSSIBLE to kill cause with just melee it WILL be impossible to kill how much dmg you get wearing dwarf armor you die with like 4-5 hits at most i guess, i believe they are already virtually almost impossible to kill, how are people in SP or just solo in server supposed to kill them, the aura with fire is also a big problem not mentioning the extra mobs spawning around

      Basically, yes. Balrogs should be extremely hard to defeat.

      Gen. Grievous1138 (LOTR Mod Wiki Admin) comlink 11:47, June 28, 2017 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • Is there any way I can make mithril as rare as diamonds by going into the mod files or something like that? Then it would be worth trying to find.

        Loading editor
    • Mustache Walrus wrote: Is there any way I can make mithril as rare as diamonds by going into the mod files or something like that? Then it would be worth trying to find.

      You probably could do so, IDK your skill in such things, but for me, it would be extremly hard because I know about nothing of coding or how are mod files compiled etc. Of course I know how to 7-zip the LOTR mod open and then look at the textures, speechbanks, such things, but I have no idea how to modify most of it.

        Loading editor
    • Gliphton wrote: just curious in short people want Balrogs to be IMPOSSIBLE to kill cause with just melee it WILL be impossible to kill how much dmg you get wearing dwarf armor you die with like 4-5 hits at most i guess, i believe they are already virtually almost impossible to kill, how are people in SP or just solo in server supposed to kill them, the aura with fire is also a big problem not mentioning the extra mobs spawning around

      I usually play with many mods, and I configured Balrogs to spawn in the nether. Then, I went to the nether with an AK47 (survival mode) and killed one no problem. Melee fighting them is of course, very difficult, but ranged combat agianst them makes them easy. Melee fighting may turn easy, when you have some dwarven-level enchanted gear, strenght and regen buffs (athelas brew) and a pike/spear/battlestaff/any other polearm. The wither can make quick work of a balrog. I think that balrogs should be stronger than the wither boss, or atleast about the same strenght. Making them a boss mob, rather than just a normal powerful mob, seems a good idea to me now, and I see that most people voting on the poll think the same.

        Loading editor
    • considering how their name means "demon of might", I think they should live up to that name. Perhaps the current iteration of balrogs could be the default type, that used in singleplayer worlds, but a config option could buff them up for multiplayer servers, so that it takes multiple players working together to take one down.

        Loading editor
    • Also.. Mithril is supposed to be rarer than diamonds. That's part of the reason diamonds were removed from Middle Earth.

        Loading editor
    • Boldogs ftw, only ever seven Balrogs at most, etc etc

      IthilionHeraldry Ithilion, Discussions Moderator(Auta i lómë) 14:23, June 29, 2017 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • High King Ithilion wrote: Boldogs ftw, only ever seven Balrogs at most, etc etc

      IthilionHeraldry Ithilion, Discussions Moderator(Auta i lómë) 14:23, June 29, 2017 (UTC)

      I have never heard of boldogs before this post. Could you please give a link where I can get more info about them?

        Loading editor
    • "Some of these things may have been delusions and phantoms but some were no doubt shapes taken by the servants of Melkor, mocking and degrading the very forms of the children. For Melkor had in his service great numbers of Maiar, who had the power, as their Master, of taking visible and tangible shape in Arda." ('Morgoth's Ring', "Myths transformed", text X')

      "Boldog (…) is a name that occurs many times in the tales of the War. But it is possible that Boldog was not a personal name, and either a title, or else the name of a kind of creature: the Orc-formed Maiar, only less formidable than the Balrogs" (Author's footnote to the text X)

      "Melkor had corrupted many spirits — some great as Sauron, or less as Balrogs. The least could have been primitive Orcs." (Author's note to text)

      IthilionHeraldry Ithilion, Discussions Moderator(Auta i lómë) 18:00, June 29, 2017 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • Boldogs are more canon, but physically they're basically just bigger orcs, which isn't really interesting in a place already filled with orcs.

        Loading editor
    • That's true. Perhaps Umaiar Spirits and the enslaved Fea's of Avari could also be present?

      IthilionHeraldry Ithilion, Discussions Moderator(Auta i lómë) 22:40, June 30, 2017 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • High King Ithilion wrote: That's true. Perhaps Umaiar Spirits and the enslaved Fea's of Avari could also be present?

      IthilionHeraldry Ithilion, Discussions Moderator(Auta i lómë) 22:40, June 30, 2017 (UTC)

      Umaiar spirits are planned, and even already have a speachbank in the mod's code. I believe Mevans said he wanted to add them with the other Utumno stuff but ran out of time. This much is speculation, but it would not surprise me if they were implemented in beta 33 with the Utumno revamp.

        Loading editor
    • I wanted to add something, I saw someone mention that certain mobs should run away from balrogs, but I'm now thinking that almost ALL mobs should run from balrogs, the exceptions being fire wargs (assist them and do not fear flame), high elf warriors (brave enough to fight), uruks (brave enough to fight), barrow-wights (powerful enough to fight), olog-hai and mirk-trolls (powerful enough to fight), utumno trolls (assist them and dumb enough to not fear flame), ents and huorns (powerful enough to fight).

        Loading editor
    • Uruks staying to face a Balrog? Doubt it tbh. Leave it to the trolls imo

      IthilionHeraldry Ithilion, Discussions Moderator(Auta i lómë) 20:18, July 2, 2017 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • High King Ithilion wrote: Uruks staying to face a Balrog? Doubt it tbh. Leave it to the trolls imo

      IthilionHeraldry Ithilion, Discussions Moderator(Auta i lómë) 20:18, July 2, 2017 (UTC)

      I would even question most elf warriors trying to face a balrog.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah Uruks ran from a few horsemen, and three hunters. No way they'd fight a balrog, and wants and Hurons are literally super ultra weak to fire. Elves on the other hand are proven to have fought and even kill some.

        Loading editor
    • LordArvedui wrote:
      Yeah Uruks ran from a few horsemen, and three hunters. No way they'd fight a balrog, and wants and Hurons are literally super ultra weak to fire. Elves on the other hand are proven to have fought and even kill some.

      Indeed! Take "yellow-haired Glorfindel, chief of the House of the Golden Flower of Gondolin," who fought a Balrog alone and "fell to ruin in the abyss" along with his foe (The Silmarillion​, 252). It is also likely that Feanor, probably the most poweful Elven warrior to have ever existed, slew at least one Balrog before Gothmog's host overwhelmed him.

        Loading editor
    • Only high-elven warriors (rivendell and lindon) will fight balrogs, other elves will run away and scream for help, like most other mobs. I added uruks so evil players would have a "small" unit to fight balrogs, but if not normal uruks, then maybe uruk berserkers would be "brave" enough? Also, maybe trolls will fight, because if utumno trolls don't run, then why regular trolls should? They too stupid to fear flame. Maybe huorns would run, but ents don't really seem like creatures that would run away.

        Loading editor
    • Equites wrote:

      LordArvedui wrote:
      Yeah Uruks ran from a few horsemen, and three hunters. No way they'd fight a balrog, and wants and Hurons are literally super ultra weak to fire. Elves on the other hand are proven to have fought and even kill some.

      Indeed! Take "yellow-haired Glorfindel, chief of the House of the Golden Flower of Gondolin," who fought a Balrog alone and "fell to ruin in the abyss" along with his foe (The Silmarillion​, 252). It is also likely that Feanor, probably the most poweful Elven warrior to have ever existed, slew at least one Balrog before Gothmog's host overwhelmed him.

      First, we have absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Feanor slew a Balrog, that is a completely baseless claim.

      We know that two of the mightiest elven warriors of the FA fought and killed balrogs (and died), for the sake of buying other elves time to flee. It is on this that you base your assumption that all late TA Warriors of Lindon would attempt to fight a Balrog should they encounter one, correct? That is ridiculous. Although some of the greater elves (Elrond, Glorfindel, Cirdan) might stand a chance, there is absolutely no way that an average TA elven warrior could hope to slay a balrog. For him to try would mean either that he really, really wanted to die, or that he was really, really stupid.

        Loading editor
    • Catfishperson wrote:

      Equites wrote:

      LordArvedui wrote:
      Yeah Uruks ran from a few horsemen, and three hunters. No way they'd fight a balrog, and wants and Hurons are literally super ultra weak to fire. Elves on the other hand are proven to have fought and even kill some.
      Indeed! Take "yellow-haired Glorfindel, chief of the House of the Golden Flower of Gondolin," who fought a Balrog alone and "fell to ruin in the abyss" along with his foe (The Silmarillion​, 252). It is also likely that Feanor, probably the most poweful Elven warrior to have ever existed, slew at least one Balrog before Gothmog's host overwhelmed him.
      First, we have absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Feanor slew a Balrog, that is a completely baseless claim.

      We know that two of the mightiest elven warriors of the FA fought and killed balrogs (and died), for the sake of buying other elves time to flee. It is on this that you base your assumption that all late TA Warriors of Lindon would attempt to fight a Balrog should they encounter one, correct? That is ridiculous. Although some of the greater elves (Elrond, Glorfindel, Cirdan) might stand a chance, there is absolutely no way that an average TA elven warrior could hope to slay a balrog. For him to try would mean either that he really, really wanted to die, or that he was really, really stupid.

      I said that Feanor slaying a Balrog was "likely". In addition, I wasn't saying anything about what TA units could kill a Balrog. My intention was to provide historical perspective.

        Loading editor
    • I have thought of Balrog boss features, should I make a new thread about it referring to this one or add it here?

        Loading editor
    • A new thread would be better! 😸 I have some ideas too, but balrog buff, and balrog boss mechanics should really be two separate posts.

        Loading editor
    • I started making it, but the problem was that it was inspired by other threads so much, that I was not sure if it would be considered original.

        Loading editor
    • The idea of making the balrog mob a boss battle might not be the most original idea, but the WAY you suggest it might be. After all, you aren't suggesting that the balrog be buffed, you are suggesting that it be a boss mob. Think of mechanics, combat stages, stuff like that. We already have 2 threads suggesting buffs and balrog mob changes, but there are no threads that detail how one might make the balrog into a boss mob. For example, you might suggest that the balrog needs a 3 piece statue to be spawned, which one would acquire from trolls or treasure chests. Be creative about it, and always list the threads that inspired you to create your own, (if there are any). 😸

        Loading editor
    • Sildarflame wrote: The idea of making the balrog mob a boss battle might not be the most original idea, but the WAY you suggest it might be. After all, you aren't suggesting that the balrog be buffed, you are suggesting that it be a boss mob. Think of mechanics, combat stages, stuff like that. We already have 2 threads suggesting buffs and balrog mob changes, but there are no threads that detail how one might make the balrog into a boss mob. For example, you might suggest that the balrog needs a 3 piece statue to be spawned, which one would acquire from trolls or treasure chests. Be creative about it, and always list the threads that inspired you to create your own, (if there are any). 😸

      This is the version of the fight in short:

      The balrog will be summoned by using a special item on a melkor plate and then killing mobs around it. If the plate reaches full height, the balrog will spawn. It has 2 stages: fire stage and shadow stage. In fire stage, it had 300 health, all of it's normal abilities and also the ones suggested in this thread. When you "kill" the balrog in fire stage, the shadow stage will begin. In the shadow stage, it will lose all of it's fire-related abilities, but it's health will rise to 400 and it will recieve lots of debuffing abilities. In both stages the balrog is immune to arrows. You get the current title and achievement for killing it, but it also drops it's whip (100% chance), a bunch of other utumno equipment, a balrog slayer shield and some items, such as coal. It also has a trophy, but I don't think a balrog skull would be a good idea.

        Loading editor
    • Nice! 😸

        Loading editor
    • The problem is that many of the abilities (fire and shadow, arrow immunity, some more I didn't write up there) are already mentioned in other posts. The boss fight is based around those abilities, so that's why I'm not sure it won't be considered original.

        Loading editor
    • Well, the abilities and such might not be original, but the construction of the boss fight is. There is not a single post on this wiki that has said, "this is how a balrog boss battle will look," or some such. We have just been tossing ideas around for improving the balrog's stats, abilities, etc. Just be sure to list all of the posts that you drew your idea's from, clearly stating that you have drawn inspiration from said posts. If you still worried about it, ask one of the admins. I am sure they will be delighted by or at least interested in your post.

        Loading editor
    • Very-very-very...[100 times 'very'] good idea. Because only Gandalf can kill the Balrog!

        Loading editor
    • Balrogs should be as rare as Gandalf is because they are both Maiars

        Loading editor
    • Pepe The Mordor King wrote: Balrogs should be as rare as Gandalf is because they are both Maiars

      So Balrogs should be removed and re-added after a couple of years, and all people who want them back before the right time will be banned..? (it will also spawn an Utumno invasion if you say "I want mevans to re-add balrogs")

        Loading editor
    • Balrog are really so easy to take out in survival. With a fierce bow I can just spam them to death in a surprisingly low number of shots. I definitely think they should be harder to kill. After all, "this foe is beyond any of you."

        Loading editor
    • BrokthoStonehelm wrote: Balrog are really so easy to take out in survival. With a fierce bow I can just spam them to death in a surprisingly low number of shots. I definitely think they should be harder to kill. After all, "this foe is beyond any of you."

      Honestly? That didn't stop Boromir and Aragorn from leaping onto the bridge, and they could have beaten it, possibly (though improbably). But yes, your point is good.

        Loading editor
    • Notverygoodusername wrote:

      Pepe The Mordor King wrote: Balrogs should be as rare as Gandalf is because they are both Maiars

      So Balrogs should be removed and re-added after a couple of years, and all people who want them back before the right time will be banned..? (it will also spawn an Utumno invasion if you say "I want mevans to re-add balrogs")

      yes

        Loading editor
    • Notverygoodusername wrote:
      Only high-elven warriors (rivendell and lindon) will fight balrogs, other elves will run away and scream for help, like most other mobs. I added uruks so evil players would have a "small" unit to fight balrogs, but if not normal uruks, then maybe uruk berserkers would be "brave" enough? Also, maybe trolls will fight, because if utumno trolls don't run, then why regular trolls should? They too stupid to fear flame. Maybe huorns would run, but ents don't really seem like creatures that would run away.

      Didnt the Dwarves of Moria fight Durins Bane? Dwarves should be the ones that would try to figh the Balrog boss.

      (Also eveyone seems to support this thread, yet no chance has been made yet?)

        Loading editor
    • BraveSold!3r wrote:
      Notverygoodusername wrote:
      Only high-elven warriors (rivendell and lindon) will fight balrogs, other elves will run away and scream for help, like most other mobs. I added uruks so evil players would have a "small" unit to fight balrogs, but if not normal uruks, then maybe uruk berserkers would be "brave" enough? Also, maybe trolls will fight, because if utumno trolls don't run, then why regular trolls should? They too stupid to fear flame. Maybe huorns would run, but ents don't really seem like creatures that would run away.
      Didnt the Dwarves of Moria fight Durins Bane?

      Dwarves should be the ones that would try to figh the Balrog boss.

      (Also eveyone seems to support this thread, yet no chance has been made yet?)

      there've been endorsed threads with more than 50 kudos and still no implementation, its still completely up to mevans, there are others that never got endorsed but were implemented...

      also

      (tried doing necropost card... ah well, but yeah, dead for more than a year at least...

        Loading editor
    • Tuor killed 5 balrogs and 3 "orc lords" in the first Age during the Fall of Gondolin. So Men can kill Balrogs, we've got that in the canon.

      I think Balrogs should be harder than the Hill Troll Chieftain, but not absolutely impossible, and one variation should spawn through a certain ritual in Utumno and the other in "The Roots of the Mountain" dimension from the Endorsed suggestion of that name.

        Loading editor
    • 73.197.22.191 wrote:
      Tuor killed 5 balrogs and 3 "orc lords" in the first Age during the Fall of Gondolin. So Men can kill Balrogs, we've got that in the canon.

      I think Balrogs should be harder than the Hill Troll Chieftain, but not absolutely impossible, and one variation should spawn through a certain ritual in Utumno and the other in "The Roots of the Mountain" dimension from the Endorsed suggestion of that name.

      Ah, Tuor and the Balrogs. Those were the days. Back when Men were Men and Elves were Elves, Balrogs were hundreds and Melkor was Melko. Wait a minute...

      Tuor only killed those Balrogs because that was an early draft of the Fall of Gondolin; Balrogs were many, and hardly as fearsome as they became later in Tolkien's life. It doesn't work to integrate that information with later canon where there were at most 7 Balrogs, which would mean Tuor and Ecthelion alone kill more Balrogs than there are, not even taking Gothmog into account.

      Also, necroposting is generally looked down upon, unless there's some kind of exception with Endorsed suggestions.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.