FANDOM


  • Introduction

    Hi, everybody!

    Today, I'll be talking about a new addition to one of my favorite factions of the mod: The Half-trolls of Pertorogwaith. It's a bit of an undeveloped faction; understandably, their only mention in the books was indirect and quite possibly not talking about half-troll half-people at all. But that doesn't mean it can't be improved, does it? Let's leap right in.

    Specifically, we'll be talking about adding a new subfaction: Tol Torog. For the main base of Sauron's southern monsters, there's not much different from the rest of Pertorogwaith, is there?

    Tol Torog

    Tol Torog is just a smaller Pertorogwaith. This doesn't really match the mod lore, which calls it "...[a] great volcanic island". It's also the location of the primary fortress of the Troll-people. Let's improve this a bit.

    Biome Improvements

    Tol Torog would become a new biome. It should be much more volcanic, with lava ravines, mountains, and scatterings of waste and mordor rock. Sauron's influence would be much more powerful here, so there would be less fertility, more darkness, and especially more lava. Morgul iron ore would spawn here. Furthermore, Orcs and Trolls seem to be currently immune to the sun in Pertorogwaith. I believe this should be changed to only happen in Tol Torog and Far Harad Volcano, where the ash is thicker in the air.

    Structures

    The basic Pertorogwaith structures would spawn, with a few new ones.

    Troll Pit: an area hollowed out of the stone, where Pertorogwaith Trolls would spawn. It would be very crudely made, as the Half-trolls aren't as expert craftsmen as the Orcs, with a makeshift floor with a fence surrounding it acting as a roof to shield the Trolls from the sunlight, and a stone wall to keep unwary travellers from falling in. Troll Tamers would spawn on the fenced ground level, which contains a ladder down to the Troll. A chest would spawn with raw flesh and other miscellaneous items.

    Half-troll Camps: a walled camp. The primary buildings here would be normal Half-troll houses, a bonfire surrounded by Half-trolls, and in the centre would spawn a Captain's hut. The outer wall would be made of hardened clay, with a base of charred wood, while the top is spiked with Mordor rock. There would be no gate or towers. Skulls on fences would also be a common decoration here.

    Pertorogwaith Captain's Hut: a large, moated hut, different more advanced, and much more Mordor-inspired than the ordinary Warlord house. It would be made of brown and black hardened clay, Mordor rock, and cobblestone. Chests, crafting tables, and a Half-troll bed. Loot would be better here than in the normal Half-troll and Warlord houses.

    Rhino Pen: a fence-enclosed structure, with filled with skulls, Rhino Tamers, and of course, rhinos. Loot would be similar to Warg Pits. To make up for Warlords no longer selling rhino-riders, these would spawn in the rest of Pertorogwaith.

    Mobs

    Pertorogwaith Troll: an uncommon mob, can rarely be found outside of Troll Pits. This is a remnant of Sauron's original breeding experiments, or some new devilry of the Great Eye; a large Half-troll or a small Olog. It would be red-skinned, covered with scars. It would be tusked, and would resemble a mix of Trolls and their smaller counterparts. They would be completely unclothed, save for some rags. They would be hired from Troll tamers and Captains with raw flesh, but if found naturally, hostile to all mobs but Troll-tamers.  They would suffer the same sunlight debuffs as Orcs. Health would be about 45, and attack strength 7.

    Troll Tamer: a shirtless Half-troll, carrying a whip (lead), and the primary seller of Pertorogwaith Trolls. Spawns exclusively in Troll Pits.

    Half-troll Rhino Dealer: a Half-troll that sells rhinos and rhino-riders. Warlords would no longer sell rhino-riders.

    Pertorogwaith Orc: the unluckiest of the Orcs, sent from Mordor to assist in the breeding of the Half-trolls, although this has developed into more of a fearful lifestyle, in which they have become punching bags and targets of mockery for the Troll-men. Darker, more ragged and much more beat-up than normal Orcs. Unhirable, and would spawn in camps. Half-trolls would occasionally 'bully' them, as suggested by Catfishperson, which would be represented by a Half-trolls punching a nearby Orc a single time, accompanied by some dialogue, along the lines of "Bah! Orc weakling!" "Watch it, maggot!" "Move it, North-scum! Ha!"

    Pertorogwaith Captain: spawns in its hut. This new leader of the Troll-men would wear the Half-troll armour, but with a Half-troll Captain helmet. More Orc-like than the other Half-trolls, these would sell every Half-troll NPC along with rhino-riders and Trolls. These are elite Uruk warriors sent from Mordor to control the inhabitants of Pertorogwaith, and, unlike their weaker cousins, will gladly return a punch at any Half-troll who feels tough, although this won't result in a skirmish.

    Items

    Pertorogwaith Captain Helmet: (Feel free to suggest a different name) A Half-troll helmet, with a rhino-like spike on the forehead, with the red eye painted underneath. Would be crafted by putting an undamaged Half-troll helmet below a rhino horn in a Half-troll crafting table.

    Tol Torog Banner: the banner of Tol Torog; Would replace all banners in new buildings. Resembles a Trollish warrior silhouetted against a flaming eye on a dirty brown background. Craftable by adding a Morgul Iron ingot to the banner recipe in a Half-troll crafting table.

    Conclusion

    Anyway, that's my list for improvements and additions for Tol Torog. Feel free to let me know what you liked in the comments, and to provide ideas or suggestions. Apologies if the custom lore I've come up with for certain additions doesn't make sense, feel free to correct that too. I know that some of the names are long, so feel free to suggest new ones. I'd love to hear something better than 'Pertorogwaith Captain'.

      Loading editor
    • I really love this! Quite in-depth, creative, and original. I only have one complaint: you said the pit roof serves to protect from sunlight. But fences dont stop sun and they dont need protection on the isle since the sky would be full of volcanic ash.

        Loading editor
    • ArcenGamer wrote:
      I really love this! Quite in-depth, creative, and original. I only have one complaint: you said the pit roof serves to protect from sunlight. But fences dont stop sun and they dont jeed protection on the isle since the sky would be full of volcanic ash.

      I think I considered adding that Trolls and Orcs don't suffer debuffs in Tol Torog (if they don't already), but I must've forgotten to add it. The fence isn't part of the roof, it just surrounds it. The actual roof is blocks and slabs.

      EDIT: Checked, they don't seem to. Guess the roof is more for protection then, wouldn't want to fall in. Might add something that changes sun protection to only be in Tol Torog and Far Harad volcano, rather than all of Pertorogwaith.

        Loading editor
    • Good Suggestion, just not sure if there should be orcs on Tol Torog, and we still don't really know what a Half-Troll is, but I'm sure that can be changed, anyways, good suggestion, and perhaps they can make Tol Torog bigger.

        Loading editor
    • Jadopotato10 wrote:
      Good Suggestion, just not sure if there should be orcs on Tol Torog, and we still don't really know what a Half-Troll is, but I'm sure that can be changed, anyways, good suggestion, and perhaps they can make Tol Torog bigger.

      In the lore I had in my head, Sauron sent a few Orcs to help control the breeding and society of the Half-trolls. After all, they weren't very intelligent or quickly breeding, and I find it difficult to believe Sauron could keep them under his influence all by himself while focusing on other things. This mainly goes off of mod lore with a bunch of extra stuff from me to expand on it.

        Loading editor
    • They would be so cool. I really hope they ad this. ( :<

        Loading editor
    • Maybe add walled hut villages

        Loading editor
    • TheArcReactor wrote:
      Maybe add walled hut villages

      Like the Half-troll Camps in the suggestion already?

        Loading editor
    • TheArcReactor wrote:
      Maybe add walled hut villages

      They're more of a militaristic Race, I'm not sure they will often be talking to eachother and growing wheat and living in huts, I think the Camps would be more realistic, as they've already been living in "Tents" in the past.

        Loading editor
    • Jadopotato10 wrote:
      TheArcReactor wrote:
      Maybe add walled hut villages
      They're more of a militaristic Race, I'm not sure they will often be talking to eachother and growing wheat and living in huts, I think the Camps would be more realistic, as they've already been living in "Tents" in the past.

      South of Tol Torog should really be filled with ruined Morwaith and Taurethrim builds, Taurethrim particularly in Taur-na-Torogrim, but this suggestion is mainly focused on Tol Torog.

        Loading editor
    • OneBehindTheHair wrote:
      Jadopotato10 wrote:
      TheArcReactor wrote:
      Maybe add walled hut villages
      They're more of a militaristic Race, I'm not sure they will often be talking to eachother and growing wheat and living in huts, I think the Camps would be more realistic, as they've already been living in "Tents" in the past.
      South of Tol Torog should really be filled with ruined Morwaith and Taurethrim builds, Taurethrim particularly in Taur-na-Torogrim, but this suggestion is mainly focused on Tol Torog.

      As in scattered ruined villages, or as in https://lotrminecraftmod.wikia.com/wiki/Stone_Ruin ?

        Loading editor
    • Jadopotato10 wrote:
      OneBehindTheHair wrote:
      Jadopotato10 wrote:
      TheArcReactor wrote:
      Maybe add walled hut villages
      They're more of a militaristic Race, I'm not sure they will often be talking to eachother and growing wheat and living in huts, I think the Camps would be more realistic, as they've already been living in "Tents" in the past.
      South of Tol Torog should really be filled with ruined Morwaith and Taurethrim builds, Taurethrim particularly in Taur-na-Torogrim, but this suggestion is mainly focused on Tol Torog.
      As in scattered ruined villages, or as in https://lotrminecraftmod.wikia.com/wiki/Stone_Ruin ?

      Ruined villages. The Half-trolls invaded Pertorogwaith and Taur-na-Torogrim, driving their inhabitants out, killing whoever they found.

        Loading editor
    • I think there should be more ruined villages everywhere.

        Loading editor
    • The trolls should occasionally bully Pertorogwaith orcs imo.

        Loading editor
    • As I was saying in Discord, I think it’d be neat to explore the idea that Tol Torog was one of places Sauron hid after the loss of the Ring. That provides a sufficient explanation as to why Morgul Iron Ore spawns in Tol Torog, and it’s an interesting starting point in expanding the lore of Harad. Maybe it was the malice of Sauron himself that stirred up the Morwaith and Half-trolls to begin attacking the Taurethrim (as opposed to: Nazgûl, or other servants of Sauron)

        Loading editor
    • Rayn Turammarth wrote: As I was saying in Discord, I think it’d be neat to explore the idea that Tol Torog was one of places Sauron hid after the loss of the Ring. That provides a sufficient explanation as to why Morgul Iron Ore spawns in Tol Torog, and it’s an interesting starting point in expanding the lore of Harad. Maybe it was the malice of Sauron himself that stirred up the Morwaith and Half-trolls to begin attacking the Taurethrim (as opposed to: Nazgûl, or other servants of Sauron)

      A dank idea, but it doesn't quite fit with the mod history. Sauron hid in the Far East at the time; however, he was once directly involved with Tol Torog, after the War of the Elves and Sauron. This is about when the Half-Trolls were bred before being abandoned, and they devolved culturally afterwards because he more or less forgot about them. Still, the general theme of your idea works as backing for this suggestion.

      Though I should note that the Morwaith (1) started attacking the Taurethrim earlier and (2) the Taurethrim actually started that one by conquering the Morwaith's lands and using them as slaves to make their roads.

      If anyone's wondering where this is coming from, please see The Lost Chronicles of Middle-Earth. If those walls of text look intimidating, there are abridged versions on Boyd's Youtube channel.

      Gen. Grievous1138 (LOTR Mod Wiki Admin) comlink 03:13, October 1, 2018 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • Catfishperson wrote:
      The trolls should occasionally bully Pertorogwaith orcs imo.

      I've really been ignoring this thread, and for some reason I never payed much attention to this comment. Really like the idea, just need to think of a good way it could be implemented.

      I've got several ideas for how it could be added, shouldn't be too hard to code any of them.

      A) Just like regular Orc skirmishes, specifically Half-trolls Vs Orcs, both sides fight.

      B) Half-trolls occasionally start to attack Orcs, Orcs flee.

      C) Half-trolls merely punch a single, nearby Orc, to represent a harsh shove or something, Orc flees.

      D) Half-trolls punches an Orc, Orc takes it and ignores it.

      I think the last option would be the most aesthetically pleasing, personally. Just the idea of an Orc walking too close to a Half-troll, and the Half-troll shoves him aside. Could even have some dialogue to go with it, along the lines of "Move it, maggot!" Or "Outta my way, North-scum!"

        Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • For the time being, I've added Option D, along with a tiny bit of new information, and the idea that Captains would return a punch. I'm also happy to hear ideas for new names, so feel free to suggest those.

        Loading editor
    • I like the idea, but I'm skeptical about this place being so mordorisized that morgul iron ore spawns.

      Anyway kudos!

        Loading editor
    • SteelLord2 wrote:
      I like the idea, but I'm skeptical about this place being so mordorisized that morgul iron ore spawns.

      Anyway kudos!

      We already have Mordor rock spawning all over Pertorogwaith, but I can understand your skepticism. Basically, the idea is that the Orc and Sauron influence are stronger in Tol Torog, as such, the environment has been corrupted. The rest of Pertorogwaith is nowhere near as 'mordorisized', to steal your term, so there would be a lot more Half-troll culture, building, armour, etc, and no Pertorogwaith Orcs, Morgul steel, less environmental corruption.

        Loading editor
    • Question: Would Rhino Dealers sell wargs as a hired unit like wargs, or would it spawn a literal rhino such as the ones that normally spawn in the Savannah?

        Loading editor
    • Most likely they would sell rhinos as hired units.

        Loading editor
    • SteelLord2 wrote:
      I like the idea, but I'm skeptical about this place being so mordorisized that morgul iron ore spawns.

      Anyway kudos!

      I need to add more uses for it, now that I've thought about it. Possibly another set of armour/weapons crafted with orc steel?

        Loading editor
    • OneBehindTheHair wrote:
      Most likely they would sell rhinos as hired units.

      On second thought, possibly just the rhino riders. Rhinos aren't really intelligent creatures, at least not in the Warg sense, so hiring them isn't really that realistic.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.