Hi, all! I decided to just get it done and make this comparison so I didn't need to look it up every single time! Since Azog and Bolg depart so heavily from their book counterparts, I decided to write this so people would stop getting confused about who was in what, and what was ruled by who. Will it help? Probably not.
- Died in T.A. 2799, approximately 142 years before the Hobbit begins
- Was the leader of the Moria clan
- Killed Thrór, eventually causing the Battle of Azanulbizar and ultimately his death
- Head sliced off by Dáin
- Strong Orc
Jackson's Azog "The Defiler"
- Died approximately 142 years after the Battle of Azanulbizar
- Leader of like, anything Sauron wasn't
- Killed Thrór during the Battle of Azanulbizar, causing you to wonder what caused it in the first place
- Hand sliced off by Thorin, and ultimately killed by said Dwarf 142 years later
- The most powerful Orc to ever exist, so strong he could probably take on a Balrog
- Actually a character in the Hobbit
- Primary leader of the Orcs in the Battle of Five Armies
- Son of Azog, wishes to avenge his death
- Killed by Beorn
- Not much is known, leaving a great deal to be developed for an interesting character
- Eats slightly less steroids than daddy Azog
- Secondary villain
- Motivation: "Bolg like to smash Dwarves"
- Heck, I don't even remember how he died. Was he even in the movie? Did I just dream him up?
- No expansion or development whatsoever.
And that's all the major differences. You might be able to tell that I'm a firm believer that Bolg should've been the main Orc villain of the Hobbit films. It would've been more canon, made more sense, and would have more room for non-lore breaking character development.
That's all, good day!