Upon hiring a unit from a captain, the player earns the achievement "For the Wine!".
Captains will not attack any evil NPC's or players by default. When they are attacked, however, they will defend themselves using iron pikes, which are the only weapon they spawn with. If they successfully defeat their attacker, they will heal very rapidly after the fight. If you slay them, a floating coin will appear that will eventually respawn them.
At +150 Dorwinion alignment, you'll become able to hire NPC's from this captain. Below this alignment, he will simply refuse to lend you any units. The prices are as follows (Having more alignment than the basic requirement will result in lower prices):
|Unit||Unpledged Cost (Silver Coins)||Pledged Cost (Silver Coins)||Alignment Required (Dorwinion)||Requires Pledge (Dorwinion)|
|Vintner Guard||40-80 ( to )||20-40 ( to )||+150||No|
|Vintner Guard Crossbower||60-120 ( to )||30-60 ( to )||+200||No|
|Dorwinion Banner-Bearer||60-120 ( to )||30-60 ( to )||+300||No|
- Welcome, Person. Have you come to hire my guards?
- The Vintner Guards make excellent personal guards too, Person.
- My guards are not cheap, Person, but they are loyal.
- Ah, Person! I have heard tales of your deeds. You seem like an honest friend of Dorwinion.
- Elves may be powerful, Person, but they are fickle too. You have made the right choice to come to me.
- For just a small sum of money, these guards might be yours.
- I can't wait to get home and drink some wine.
- My guards are well-trained, Person.
- The guards of Dorwinion do not serve just anyone, Person.
- These guards are hired by vintner-elves and noblemen. They do not serve lowborn peasants like you!
- You may be our friend, Person, but you are no nobleman.
- What are you doing here? Go back to picking grapes.
- You are not worthy of the Vintner Guard.
- These men are well-trained, loyal, and strong. They serve only the highborn of Dorwinion. Not fools like you.
- What do you think we are, Person, a band of mercenaries? Away with you.
- There's no room for villains like you in Dorwinion!
- Get out of Dorwinion before we drive you out with our pikes!
- You are no friend of Dorwinion, Person.
- You should not have come here.
- You will go no further, Person!
- You must leave Dorwinion now!
- Get away, Person! No wine for you!
- You have the manner of a common rogue, and I shall deal with you like one!
- Run along now, scoundrel!
- I will spill your blood like bitter wine!
- You would do well to fear us, Person!
- Don't tempt me, scum!
|The Men and Elves of Dorwinion|
Elves (Warrior, Archer) Men (Crossbower, Guard, Vinehand)